Owner-Financing Can Benefit The Seller
- Quicker Sale: Owner financing is a great way to stand out in the market place. Appealing to a whole new market of savvy investors and moving a hard-to-sell property.
- Higher Sales Price: Sellers that offer financing can often command a higher price.
- Higher Interest Rate: The owner may receive a higher interest rate on their money. Instead of depositing their gains in the bank or other low risk investment, they become the bank and set their rate.
- Monthly Income: Payments from a buyer increase the seller’s monthly cash flow, resulting in a more comfortable life.
- Tax Breaks: The seller might pay less in taxes on an installment sale, reporting only the income received in each calendar year, instead of one large lump sum.
- Minimize Risk: This is the home you raised your children in. You invested your blood, sweat and tears. Through it all your home gave you shelter and you gave it life. Good news! The relationship doesn’t have to end there. By offering owner financing, your home can take care of you for the rest of your life. If the buyer doesn’t perform, you are in first position to take your home back. Compare that to watching your stock plummet.
Owner financing is a complex process. Buyers and sellers engage real estate lawyers to help them structure the deal after they have negotiated the deal among themselves and or with their respective agents. This will help ensure that their agreement conforms to all state laws, covers every contingency, and protects both parties equally.
Steve Schappert is a nationally recognized real estate broker, award winning renovation contractor, educator and author.
Call 203-994-3950 to get a free evaluation of your Connecticut Real Estate.